Out With The Red, In With The Pink

11:02

After my hair inspiration and lots of umming and ahhing I finally decided to take the plunge and dip dye my hair.  After checking out a few different colours I decided to go for pink.  I decided on pink for a couple of reasons: 1. After dying my hair brown over my previously bleached and red dyed hair, I didn't want to bleach my hair too much so knew I wouldn't be able to get it to a nice blonde.  2. I just don't feel right anymore without a bit of colour in my hair.  I never realised just how much my hair affected me until I had it brown for a whole day and I just felt so unhappy with it.

For any of you that are interested, this is how I did it...

 Products I used:
Schwarzkopf Live Salon Style in Medium Brown
Jerome Russell Highlighting Kit for Light to Dark Brown Hair
La Riche Directions in Carnation Pink
Firstly I dyed my hair brown to get rid of the red.  I know I shouldn't but I always leave hair dye on way longer than the instructions suggest, but as I didn't want my hair to go too dark I left it on for the suggested time this time.  Although I liked the Chestnut colour it gave me, like I said before I just didn't feel right, but I'd definitely recommend Live Salon Style hair dyes as they give great colour and have pretty good staying power compared to other dyes I have used.

I left it for a day before I bleached the ends.  I knew I wouldn't end up with nice blonde ends but I wasn't worried too much about the colour, just needed it lighter for the pink to show up.  I bleached it from my chin downwards, and I just slapped it on really because I didn't want it to look to neat for the dip dye effect.  I left the bleach on for 25 mins, then washed it off and dried it.  Then to achieve more of a gradient I put more bleach on the bottom 2 inches, wrapped in foil and left for 20 minutes.  I don't know if it because I was bleaching over dyed hair but it didn't really go much lighter, so if I was to do it again I would probably leave it on a bit longer.  This is the orangey pink shade I ended up with.

 Then I put the pink on.  I wasn't too worried about doing this because La Riche Directions is an all natural semi-permanent dye so it doesn't damage your hair and I actually find it to be quite conditioning.  I slapped it on my ends, again so it didn't look too perfect.  I then wrapped them in foil again and left for just over an hour before blasting them with the hairdryer for 10-15 minutes.  Then once the foil had cooled I rinsed it out and this is the final result.
I was going to do the pink again as it is a little bit patchy but I have decided to leave it because I kind of like the patchiness of it.  I think it adds to the affect of dip dying.  What do you think?

I have also had a play around with my blog layout because I wanted it to be a bit simpler and more personalised with my own blog header.  Hope you like it.

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. This looks fab!! I've been so tempted to try something similar with my hair. I think you've pushed me one step closer lol ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great! It's amazing how your colour/cut can affect you. I'm the same. I dyed mine brown after uni - to get a 'proper' job and hated it.

    Love your new layout too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow hun it looks amazing such a great effect and perfect for Fall. I love Directions hair dye I have noticed that it actually conditions the hair. Job well done me thinks xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO RAD. love it!

    xo, vanessa (the gal)

    http://fashiongalfireman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous!!! I love the final result!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, you did really well and I can't notice any patchyness x

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the pink ombre hair, I really like the look you've achieved, and love the new blog layout!xx

    kathykinsxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I am shocked at how awesome that turned out! (I do hair, and most people severely screw their hair up when they do it at home.) Yours looks fantastic!

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its fab! Id love hair like that but long hair doesnt suit me :-(

    Thankyou for commenting on my blog, it means alot :-) ive replied to it.

    Holli x
    Dragonmommy123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it looks so good! I'd love to have pink ombre hair :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow this is so good, suits you! i love the dip dyed look, i really want to do it but i'm under strict instructions not to as my brothers getting married soon & i'm a bridesmaid... (my mum would kill me haha!)

    but it's good to know how it's done, without having to go to a madly expensive hair salon, and make it look just as good!

    charlotte
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. great head!!!

    http://kamila-peppermind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woah your hair looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!! great look! Love the color of your hair! :)
    kISSES!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comment :) also your hair looks immense! I love how you've gone for a pink, makes it unique!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing! Once I've finally managed to grow my hair I'm totally trying dip-dying out.
    L x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi hun, I am loving your hair like this soooooooooo much it's amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love the hair... so beautiful
    xxx


    http://www.vintagenewyork.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great!! I'd love long hair so I could dip dye it, I reckon it'll look a bit funny with my shoulder length crop

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow love your hair color dear awesome

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks really cool :) I have always bleached my hair, for years, and wanted to go dark for winter, and so over autumn I sported a similar look to this, knowing I would be dying over it soon enough.
    I'm a brunette now, but kinda wish I'd kept some pink in it, or spruced it up somehow.
    Don't know if my bleached, now brown ends would take being bleached again and pinked though haha!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments :)

I read every single one and will always try to reply x

Subscribe